farmstros can be reached at farmstros@yahoo.com

Monday, December 24, 2012

The '13 Prospects of Christmas- #1- Jon Singleton

by Jared Webb @webberoo11
  
#1 Jon Singleton L/L 1b 6'2 235" 1B 21 years old

What do we all see when we look at JSing? That's right....our hope. 
Singleton is what you dream of when thinking about what you want your 1B to be. Big bat, plate discipline, willing to make good contact and knows where 1B is. If you watched the Futures Game, you saw Sing work every single at bat and not trying to overdo them. He was taking pitchers deep into counts and hitting balls where they needed to be hit. 
If you watched any of Singleton's games in Corpus Christi,  you noticed him crush inside pitches. Of course, there is a split vs. left handers. (There is always a split vs. LHP).  I have a feeling that Singleton will adjust to this split much better than Brett Wallace.  Singleton will start the season at AAA (I've already taken leave in August for when the RedHawks come to Vegas), and he has the ability to make the big team this season.  My guess is that Jeff won't want to start his service timer if he can help it. 
Ceiling: All Star 1B/DH
Floor: Average Starting 1B
 The best thing about trying to rank prospects is that you get to know the guys that will dictate the future of your team.  I could have easily shuffled #4-#7 and been happy with who I slotted in those four spots.  The fact that the Astros have three big arms who have a ceiling of top of the rotation is something that should get fans chomping at the bit. I, for one, plan on following our prospects in 2013 with a zealous dedication.  I'm so invested in the Astros rebuilding effort that I'm trying to get Jeff Lunhow to adopt me. 


c2012 Jared Webb.  Used with permission.

No comments: