farmstros can be reached at farmstros@yahoo.com

Wednesday, December 19, 2012

The '13 Prospects of Christmas- #6- Lance McCullers, Jr.

by Jared Webb @webberoo11
#6 Lance McCullers Jr. RHP 6'1" 190 19 yrs old
I remember wondering on draft day who the Astros would take in the supplemental round. I saw Zach Elfin go off the board and I thought, "Man, that would have been a steal." I also remember thinking they would take Matt Smoral. Like everyone else, I thought McCullers would got in the top 15. 
 Then the 'stros called his name, and I literally ran around my living room fist pumping. 
Power pitcher is the best description for McCullers. His fastball can ramp up all the way to 100 and he throws a power slider that makes people look ridiculous. He never needed his change up in HS, but as a pro, he is bringing it back into the mix with good effect. When he was on this year he was dominant, and only got roughed up when he got wild. 
Control will be the issue going forward. He could profile as a top of the rotation arm, or an elite closer.  The Astros will continue working Lance as a starter for the time being.  He should be a fan favorite, and already shows a knack for interacting with the fans.

Ceiling: #1 Starter (Not Ace)
Floor: Closer 
 c2012 Jared Webb. Used with permission.

No comments: