farmstros can be reached at farmstros@yahoo.com

Friday, February 22, 2013

The Pequod II- This Time from Kissimmee





Thanks to @KevinBassStache    for the use of the picture.

Call Me Ishmael.


Tomorrow another adventure begins for me.  When the sun rises here in Florida, our ship will set sail, seeking success that never came for Captain Ahab.

How did I get to Florida? you may ask.  Well, a young writer in the northeast part of the country told me there may be some openings for skrimshanders with experience in the County of Osceola.  The writer told  me that he would go himself, but he had never mastered the harpoon with his left hand.

I made my way to these parts and found great relief from the winters of Nantucket.  I sorely wish my old roommate Queequeg were here with me.  I would guess the weather of this region would remind him of home.  I miss Queequeg.

After having survived the Pequod's encounter with the great, white whale, I approach this journey with caution.  I must admit that being on a ship which has so recently encountered much bad fortune makes me a bit leery.  Further, by and large, the crew has little or no experience on a ship of this size.  Of course, this causes me concern, but this is the life I know, so I am happy to have a spot in which I can ply my trade and provide for myself.

Some veterans familiar with this trade spent much time with the crew during their preparations. This was helpful.  One old-timer in particular mentored the young harpooners for three or four days.  I believe he helped their confidence greatly- Queequeg would have been impressed.  However, several of the youngsters were confused when the veteran spoke of "taking out their knees."  Shortly after that particular meeting, I noticed several of the computer savvy harpooners Googling, "Do whales have knees?"

At first glance, it seems everything about this journey is different from the Pequod's. Yet, I notice at least one similarity.   Much as when we set out with Captain Ahab years ago, there is much uncertainty about where this ship will go and what it will accomplish.  However, the entire crew is committed to speaking their certainty of the ship's success.  Not since my day's leaving Nantucket with Queequeg, have I heard so much singing and cheering for a venture which has to that point in time not had any success.

Tomorrow, we shall begin to see if those cheers are well-founded.  I am happy to be along for the ride.  However, the first time the captain of this ship comes on deck with a wooden leg, I'm going overboard.



No comments: